Re: [ST] 2005 ST, First Thoughts

>From: Nathan Maher
>All I ask is that they keep my damn tach analog, there's nothing worse
>than a digital one.  They can do whatever they want w/ the speedo, I
>don't know about the rest of you but I don't find myself looking at it
>Heyer, Matthew A. wrote:
>> As for the generational thing, I'll only be 29 next month, and I hate
>> the digital speedo's.  Give me the classic analog gages anytime.

Well, of course the speedos are already digitally controlled. Just
indicating in an analog presentation. I wouldn't mind a display
with speedo indication, as long as it's an "analog" presentation.
Like with flying, it's very easy to quickly interpret the "old
fashioned" way of presentation because you don't have to look at
the figure itself but can see the basic speed (/tach) by just
looking at the position / shape of the indication. And in an
analog presentation you can also observe a trend (acceleration,
approaching a speed or RPM within a certain time) much easier.

The advantage of digital technology (not meaning presentation
in just digits!) is of course the weight, the lack of mechanical
pieces you can break down and the options it can give to display
and calculate certain data. I recently noticed a gadget you can
buy which can program digitally driven speedos so they'll
indicate correctly, instead of over-exaggerating.

Emile
www.piloot.com

attempt 3 past black holes