Re: [ST] Gearing Question

- --part1_103.59274d63.2f206301_boundary

Hey John,

I have a '99 ST that had a 18 tooth front sprocket as standard.
 I dropped to a 17 tooth at about 20,000kms and have never looked back. I now
have about 85,000k's racked up. It just made the bike that much sweeter
throughout the entire rev range. A little more acceleration at take off and being
in Australia our top speed limit is 110kph, this puts the revs at 5000 -
6000rpm  range when cruising at 110 - 130kph in top gear. I didnt notice any effects
to the fuel economy. Infact, as I have put more miles on it and done quite a
few long trips, (regularly Sydney to Brisbane, about 1000km's)  the economy
has improved slightly. I can get about 400km's to a tank. This is taking into
account about 50km's from reserve after the light comes on. It is using oil a
little bit now but it doesnt appear to be burning it. Its a good idea and cheap
insurance to change the oil and filter in between services.

I also highly recommend a Sargeant seat, especially if you are going to be
doing a lot of distance riding. It cost me $700 (Aus dollars!) by the time I
imported it from the USA but it was money well spent. Your pillion will be a lot
happier as well if you tend to carry one.

The ST also responds well to a suspension upgrade. I put slightly stiffer
springs in the front and slightly heavier oil. I'm yet to upgrade the shock unit
(good ones are expensive) but there are plenty of people on this list that
have tried various brands and will testify to how it transforms the bike and how
a fully adjustable unit gives you the range to cater for everything from one
up blasting to two up, fully loaded touring.

Hope this helps.
Stay upright

Brett

- --part1_103.59274d63.2f206301_boundary

=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Hey John,<BR>
<BR>
I have a '99 ST that had a 18 tooth front sprocket as standard.<BR>
 I dropped to a 17 tooth at about 20,000kms and have never looked back. I no=
w have about 85,000k's racked up. It just made the bike that much sweeter th=
roughout the entire rev range. A little more acceleration at take off and be=
ing in Australia our top speed limit is 110kph, this puts the revs at 5000 -=
 6000rpm&nbsp; range when cruising at 110 - 130kph in top gear. I didnt noti=
ce any effects to the fuel economy. Infact, as I have put more miles on it a=
nd done quite a few long trips, (regularly Sydney to Brisbane, about 1000km'=
s)&nbsp; the economy has improved slightly. I can get about 400km's to a tan=
k. This is taking into account about 50km's from reserve after the light com=
es on. It is using oil a little bit now but it doesnt appear to be burning i=
t. Its a good idea and cheap insurance to change the oil and filter in betwe=
en services. <BR>
<BR>
I also highly recommend a Sargeant seat, especially if you are going to be d=
oing a lot of distance riding. It cost me $700 (Aus dollars!) by the time I=20=
imported it from the USA but it was money well spent. Your pillion will be a=
 lot happier as well if you tend to carry one.<BR>
<BR>
The ST also responds well to a suspension upgrade. I put slightly stiffer sp=
rings in the front and slightly heavier oil. I'm yet to upgrade the shock un=
it (good ones are expensive) but there are plenty of people on this list tha=
t have tried various brands and will testify to how it transforms the bike a=
nd how a fully adjustable unit gives you the range to cater for everything f=
rom one up blasting to two up, fully loaded touring.<BR>
<BR>
Hope this helps.<BR>
Stay upright<BR>
<BR>
Brett<BR>
 <BR>
<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
- --part1_103.59274d63.2f206301_boundary--