[ST] RE: (ST) Gearing question - 3rd posting try

John,

My '02 RS had 19/43 OEM gearing (way over-geared for performance
riding, but it delivered 46 mpg).

When I changed to 18/43, I thought it a nearly ideal compromise
ratio, and it returned 43 mpg.

Recently, a mechanic cut my new chain too short.  Afterwards, when I
installed a rear hugger, the tire rubbed severely.  Since the chain
was relatively new, I opted to mount a 17T sprocket for the fix
rather than chucking the near-new chain.

I had always been curious how the 18/45 setup would work out, so
going to the incrementally lower 17/43 ratio accomplished two
objectives.  However, I find this ratio too low (for other than
easier wheelies).  Since the engine now spins up so (too) fast and
there's so much more bottom-end torque available, it encourages
drastic short-shifting that I find less satisfying.  Gas mileage has
now dropped to 40 mpg.

I plan to either go back to 18/43 (2.39) or -- since I still have the
like-new 19T original, 19/46 (2.42) if a 46T cog is available.

HTH,
Mike