Re: [ST] Yahoogroups (attempt 5)

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, chuck boatwright wrote:

> Emile Nossin wrote:
>
> > To the group and Eric; have you ever considered
> > moving this list to yahoogroups?

I'm for this.

> avoid the miniborg..  If the list were on yahoo, I would be less
> inclined to speak freely  -- yahoo archives stuff "for us"?  no thanks.
>
> don't really like yahoogroups.

Yes, there *are* disadvantages, but reliable access to both the mailing
list and archives trumps them IMHO.

> personally I don't need polls, voting, web interface, photos etc.etc.

You have never used any of the photos or instructions how to install
accessories on the triumphnet page? When I originally signed up for the ST
list, I noted that the triumphnet page hasn't been updated in quite some
time, and asked about it and never got a response.

The information on the triumphnet page is reasonably complete, but for
example someone posted instructions here recently to install a ScottOiler.
The triumnet page doesn't have that and hasn't been updated. If individual
users have the ability to upload content - that's a plus.

> Eric has already asked if someone can "step up".  I offered.  Now it's
> public -- let's move the list to a bike friendly place.  We can host the
> ST site any number of places, and I can help with that too.
>
> if we were to move the list, I would opine micapeak.  micapeak is
> motorbike friendly.

If micapeak is really an option, I'm all for it. The whole micapeak system
is reliable in my experience, including the archives. Losing the ability
to post content to the web would probably be a worthwhile tradeoff for
getting rid of the advertising and "big brother" aspect of Yahoo Groups.

OTOH, if triumphnet could be convince to put up a wiki in addition to the
current pages, that would be *brilliant*. A wiki plus micapeak for email
lists/archives would be a great combination.

Paul