Re: [ST] Moving the ST Digest to Yahoogroups

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 03:37:23PM +0000, Gavin Lawrie wrote:
> I participate in several Yahoo Groups lists, and 'own' / moderate
> another.  While the system works OK, our experience with the list I
> moderate is that few use the web-site facility, and those that do find
> the system quite hard to use (for example, it doesn't allow for
> messages to be clustered into 'threads' in any sensible fashion).  The
> weird mashing of HTML vs. Text messages, and adverts also annoy.

The only negative I have about Yahoo groups is that while, yes, you can
search the archives, you can't seem to search the entire archives at one
time.  You search messages 10,000-9500, then click next, and get
9500-9000, then click next, etc.  Seems pretty cumbersome.

Otherwise, I think it's a great idea.  I proposed this a year or two
back when the archives hadn't worked in forever, messages took days to
come through the server, and the picture functionality got yanked.  I
was met with the sound of crickets chirping, so I'm glad there's some
discussion this time.

I'm on a number of yahoo lists, and they work great.  You can have them
moderated and set it so moderators have to approve new members before
they can post.

And if you think it's less "safe" or "private" than this list and the
server it's run on, you're fooling yourself.  :b

Laters,
Brian
- --
Ft. Worth, TX