[ST] Changing lights - disassembling cockpit

<Cross-posting since not everyone is on Yahoo yet...>

Ok, so since I need to replace the headlight, and I also want to
replace the "third eye" positional light with a type 194 LED cluster,
I'll just go ahead and disassemble the cockpit.

Reading the service manual, there are a few steps that aren't clear
to me.  Maybe someone who has done this before can clarify...

  6. Remove both lower fairings.

By "lower fairings", they mean the side panels, not the belly pan.
Is this really necessary, or can I just remove the hex bolts
connecting the cockpit to the side fairings?

The left side is a hassle because of the heated grip switch; I always
have to prop it up near the bike, and then I wind up tripping over
it...

  7. Release the fixings securing the cockpit.

Hmmm...uh...hmmm.  No pictures or diagrams.  What "fixings" would
these be?

Thanks,
  - Dave