Re: [ST] Moving the ST Digest to Yahoogroups

On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 16:56 +0000, Mike Bostock wrote:
> In your message regarding [ST] Moving the ST Digest to Yahoogroups
> dated Fri, 21 Jan 2005 08:50:12 -0500, CAPT Howard S. Serlick USNR
> said that ...
>
> >CHSS- All:
> >CHSS- 	I'm ready to make the move to YahooGroups. I love being connected to all of you (for
> >CHSS- better or worse) and would like to take the load off of Eric.
> >CHSS- 	It may not be the best solution, but no-one else has proposed a better way to keep our
> >CHSS- ST/RS web community together.
> >CHSS-
> <Snipped>
>
> Eric and I discussed a move to Yahoogroups a couple of years back
> (April 2003 to be precise).  HE wasn't desperately keen.  I did nab
> <SprintST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> maintained it so it is available IF Eric decides Yahoogroups is the
> way to go.  However, I know that Simon (zapik.co.uk) has his own
> server and has volunteered the use of his server using Mailman which
> allows search of archives, normal delivery, digest delivery, web
> based interface etc etc
>
> I am surprised he hasn't replied to this thread.

Here I am. I've been very busy with work. For those of you that might be
interested I look after the UNIX servers for a large UK wireless
internet access company. Now as this was a private mailing list I might
be tempted to tell you who it was. If it was yahoo I would not. However
to put things in perspective.

Mailman can be run with very little admin. I have been running lists
from my SUN server here at home for the last 5 years. It has a web
interface so other users can administer the list. The server does ad d
the 20 or so lines to the end like yahoo so the archives are more
compact. No data mining is done so you wont get targeted emails as spam.
I am not a commercial organisation trying to make money like yahoo.

It's not the mail side that is difficult to do it's the web side. The
web page updates take time to author. Any additions would have to be
checked and loaded by the web administrator.

I would need to know what the sponsorship deal is. I presume it is to
pay for a web server/space in a data-centre somewhere. Unfortunately I
cant host it at work. The 147Mb link would be nice.

So a few questions:

1. Who would want to be a webmin for the site (more than one is
required).
2. Who would want to be a mailman admin (more than one is required)
Mike has already sort of agreed to this.
3. Who knows of some free webspace or what the sponsorship deal is.

Thanks.

- --
simonb <simonb@xxxxxxxxxxx>