RE: [ST] list moving..

>From:chuck boatwright
>What's the hurry I keep asking myself.

Well, I did indeed expect a discussion first. The group
was just there to try out and see how it works. But,
surprising or not, it does seem that perhaps people
had their mind quickly made up when looking at the
current quality of the list...

>I would much prefer the list to coninue using a more traditional
>technology (mailman/listproc/courier/etc) than for it to move to
>yahoo. "It has all the features" are lost on me, because it's
>quality not quantity of features.

Well, then I suggest you do check it out. Because the group in
essence is identical to the current mailing list. You can simply
(un)subscribe with an email command (no yahoo ID needed), if
that's a problem for you. It's in essence the same sort of
traditional mailing list, but with a higher quality because
the yahoogroup one does work pretty much all the time. It's
quicker, it's easier to get support (more mods) and it has
a working and searchable archive. It is higher quality and
quantity and it doesn't have a price. The same plain text
(or html if you prefer, yahoogroups gives you the choice)
sponsor message hidden in the bottom of the email.

>There is some vanity (my personal vanity) in having a list
>on the same domain (the triumphnet domain), but as I said,
>it's only vanity.  But to me it has value.

That I can imagine, but the yahoogroup can be integrated
in the same way as the mailing list into that site. And
vice versa the group could get a triumphnet forwarding
subdomain name. But that's up to Eric... I too would
like to integrate as much as possible.

>Curmudgeonly yours (and on the list for almost 5 years)

You do agree that it's the people that make the group, right?
It's not the technology, it's the people that use it that
give it a true atmosphere, or spirit if you like. That's
the true value of a group, in my honest and perhaps biased
opinion, having been with e-groups (now yahoogroups) since
the beginning as well as plenty of other (majordomo) lists.

Emile
www.piloot.com