Re: [ST] Re: 2002 ST SET UP QUESTIONS

Hey Harry,

That sounds like a fantastic trip you have planned. I will be doing something similar in the not to distant future. I'm interested to hear the run down when you get back.

I regularly ride Sydney - Brisbane - Noosa on my '99 ST, fully loaded with factory panniers, top box, bags on the pillion seat or a pillion.
I have calculated that she is carying up to 170kgs!

I have upgraded the front with slightly stiffer springs and heavier oil. The rear is still stock. I also put a 17 tooth sprocket on the front. A sargeant seat has done wonders for long distance touring comfort. I have found that adjusting the pre load to accommodate the extra weight is the only way to go. I try to take twisty detours when I can as the Princes Hwy is very boring these days.
My last trip was over Christmas/New Year. It was 3000kms of the best riding I have done to date in Australia. I pushed it more than a couple of times with the result being the belly pan touched down, the Bridgestone 012 on the rear sliding under power and the suspension reminding that I was infact fully loaded and to please stop twisting the throttle so much on the exits. It was all very compliant and predictable and of course the bike did the trip easier than I.

With 85,500 kms on the clock, I'm still in love with this motorcycle.

Have a great trip.

Brett
Sydney