Re: [ST] list moving..

Emile Nossin wrote:

>>I would much prefer the list to coninue using a more traditional
>>technology (mailman/listproc/courier/etc) than for it to move to
>>yahoo. "It has all the features" are lost on me, because it's
>>quality not quantity of features.
>

> Well, then I suggest you do check it out.

Maybe I wasn't very clear.  I know how yahoogroups work.  I am intimate
with both how it works from the user's perspective and their corporate
perspective.  I wouldn't make statements as I have without this a priori
knowledge.

> but with a higher quality because
> the yahoogroup one does work pretty much all the time.

yahoogroups goes down.  more often than you might be aware.  Do they
have three nines of uptime?  No.  I doubt that they have two nines of
uptime.

> It's
> quicker, it's easier to get support (more mods) and it has
> a working and searchable archive.

the searchable archive is CRAP.  the search function only searches
recent messages (can't remember if it's date or number of messages).
This makes the search function useless for someone looking for a part
number mentioned 2 years prior.

> It is higher quality and
> quantity and it doesn't have a price.

again emile, this "higher quality" is a subjective statement.

Price?  well, you get what you pay for.  I can't think of the last time
I lusted after a set of Cheng Shin's on a 100hp bike.

- --

>>There is some vanity (my personal vanity) in having a list
>>on the same domain (the triumphnet domain), but as I said,
>>it's only vanity.  But to me it has value.
>

> That I can imagine, but the yahoogroup can be integrated
> in the same way as the mailing list into that site. And
> vice versa the group could get a triumphnet forwarding
> subdomain name.

anyone can play games with MX records.  I said it's vanity value...
which is worth less than a cup of spit in a texas [red neck]* bar.

- --

>>Curmudgeonly yours (and on the list for almost 5 years)
>

> You do agree that it's the people that make the group, right?

yes... this is true.  alot of us are old pharts here.. some more oldy,
some more pharty.  Others resemeble the undergarmets of the former.
With small exception we treat each other with respect, and throw down
good amount of sarcasm.

I applaud your effort for wanting to improve the community/group/gaggle
of vagabonds.  I am going to bow out of anymore public discussion on the
issue.

- --boatwright

*appropriate inflammatory statement to flog donut!

End of st-digest V2004 #755