Re: [ST] Loosing Grip - NOT posted on ya-hoo

At 04:42 26/01/2005, you wrote:
>...  So I stopped and checked out the surface.  It turns out the county
>is spraying a deicing agent in turns and intersections which leaves the
>surface slimy to the touch.

Sounds like you're encountering the road surface we get in South
Lanarkshire In Scotland from about November through towards the end of
February. The "salt" (a mixture of salt sand, grit and gawd knows what
else) mixes with the muck, oil and water that is more plentiful at this
time of year and becomes a slippery paste which is pretty unpleasant to
ride on. Don't get me wrong - it's better than sheet ice - but it does take
all the fun out of riding around here, and the corrosive nature of this
paste is such that it's a nightmare to keep the bike from furring up all over.

As for the handling characteristics, it sounds about right. Being as gentle
as possible wit the controls - no strong,positive cornering etc. - all make
for a safer (uneventful and tedious too) trip.

Be safe,

Spud.
02 BRG ST - Scotland