RE: [ST] Re: 2002 SPRINT ST - REAR AXLE WARNING

I had one of my front wheel bearings fail at 22.5K miles which certainly
surprised me. I now make sure to ask the mechanic to repack the bearings
when I am having a tire change done.

Looking through the maintenance schedule that came with the bike I
noticed that the rear wheel bearings are supposed to be lubricated every
12K miles or 2 years whichever comes first. Since the wheel bearings on
the ST are actually in the single sided swing arm hub this is not
trivial. But after my experience with the front I decided to have it
done (@ 27.5K miles). My mechanic said that the bearing where getting
dry. There is a roller bearing on one side of the hub and two ball
bearings on the other.

I do not see mention of this is Haynes. A wonder if dealers actually do
this as part of a service?
Rupert