[ST] Dealer problems

While it is painful to have to hear of the problems folks have with
dealers and service, it is also instructive.  Since I have visited at
least 30 dealerships around the country in the last 3 years, I think I'm
qualified to make some generalized statements, to which I am sure there
are exceptions.

First, the more brands, particularly Japanese, a dealer handles, the
less likely that Triumph will get much exposure.  In the Frozen North,
competition from snowmobiles and ATV's takes floor space from all bikes
and Triumph will suffer disproportion ally.  With no product other than
bikes, Triumph dealers don't have a lot to do in the winter if there is
ice and snow on the ground.

Second, in the Sunny South we have the competition from Personal Water
Craft (PWC's).  Dealers only have so much floor space and they expose
what sells.

As far as service, a dealers mech's are going to be best at what they do
most often.  If they spend all day working on Honsukihas and rarely see
a Triumph, it's not going to auger well when they have to do the work.

Today, we see three major types of dealership:  The Old School, "we
always sold Triumph".  RPM in Dallas, Baxter's in Iowa and D & D in
Pensacola are good examples of the best of these.  There are others.
Next is the New Generation, usually a stand alone dealer or one with a
few European lines (Ducati, Moto-Guzzi etc.)  PJ's in Albuquerque,
Hermy's in PA are good examples of dealers with a strong commitment and
good service.  Lastly is the "we got everything" dealer, too often
typified by salespeople who don't understand Triumph and will try to
shuttle you into an Asian special.  There are good dealers here as well,
though.  Streit's in Gainesville, FL devotes significant floor space to
Triumph and has well trained, knowledgeable people.  I saw one of them
at work recently, extolling the virtues of the Twins to a customer with
no Triumph experience. I hope he made the sale.

Since I don't want this to be a rant, I won't mention a dealer who
doesn't shape up.  If you have one, you already know of them.  What you
need to do is contact Triumph when there is a dealer problem.  IMHO
Triumph has made strides in eliminating dealers who don't cut the
mustard.  You might not like loosing your local shop, but from any
standpoint it is better for all, including Triumph, to have no dealer
rather than a bad one. The trick is to cultivate a new dealer who will
hack it.

Triumph seems to be trying to address this, although with mixed success.
It is impossible to right all the time in picking a new dealer for an
area.  Sometimes they are too cautious, others too liberal, but they
seem to learn from their mistakes.

I live about 100 miles from the Number One dealer in the country, Palm
Beach Triumph.  They typify the blend for success.  The owners put bikes
on the road at competitive prices and have a well-trained service
department.  They try not to overbook the service folks, so your work
gets done when it was promised and done right.  Although they have had
other brands (Aprilla, Cagiva, Enfield, Panther, etc) on the floor since
opening 6 years ago, Triumph is their main product, the one with the
best market and least problems.  To illustrate, they have announced this
week that they have dropped Ducati, a brand with issues from a dealer
standpoint, to be a stand-alone Triumph dealer.

Thirty miles to my north is a dealer (House of Power) who also handles
Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki and an ATV brand, I don't remember which.
Purchased by a business man with auto dealership experience, they have
expanded Triumph's role in the shop.  Things have greatly improved there
(the prior owner had serious reputation problems) and I'm getting
feedback that service on Triumphs has improved as well.  They have had
some stumbles, one of which was trying to get a Dealer Mark Up on Rocket
3's that had bikes sitting on the floor when everyone else was out of
stock.  They did figure it out and I expect better things from them in
the future.

While I am at it, I want to mention Erico Motorsports in Denver, Phoenix
International Motorsports, Triumph of Detroit, Backroads Triumph in NC
and Cycles Accessories West in Jacksonville.  While I have never had
cause to purchase any product or service from them, I have visited and
found them to be knowledgeable and helpful.  In short they are glad to
see you in the shop and want your business.

Triumph sales are growing at a very good rate.  They have a good
product, good warranty service and brand identity second only to Harley
(used to be second to none, but that's ancient history).  As time
passes, poor dealerships will disappear and the better one's will
prosper.  Success breeds success and new dealers with a good customer
ethic will appear to fill market gaps.  Triumph needs to be diligent in
rooting out the bad apples and getting qualified new dealers in areas
that need them.

You can help by letting Triumph (and this list) know which dealers are
sheep and which goats.  When you are on the list, recommend your dealer
if he is worth while.

Forgive the long post, but I wanted to impress those with problems that
they are generally localized and there is hope for tomorrow.  Be well,
ride well.

Oh, I almost forgot.  I want to go to the RAID in Prescott, AZ in April
and don't have the time to ride out.  Does anyone know where I can rent
(or borrow) a Triumph within a few hundred miles of Phoenix?  I would be
eternally grateful, at least for a month or two.

Andy

Andrew F. Kay, Jr.
Riders of the Lost Empire, LC,  13355 79th Street, Fellsmere, FL 32948
www.lostempire.com   andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Sound, sound the clarion, fill the fife, throughout the sensual world
proclaim, one crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a
name." Thomas Osbert Mordaunt, 1730-1809