RE: [ST] Touring Virgin - Suggestions?

Emery, first off, don't over think things.  You have great LD mount, you
will be fine.  Make sure you have an oil change, fresh tires, properly lubed
and adjusted chain and most importantly, a good attitude.  The bike is your
least worry.  Pacing yourself, staying within your limits is the biggest
concern you will face.  It's easy to push past your personal limits, trying
to reach a "goal".  Set you goals within reason.  If you have never ridden
more than 200 miles, don't try and set a schedule that requires 800 miles.
A 400 mile day should be obtainable, 50mph average, and 8 hours.  Don't try
and ride past your limit, take your time, enjoy the ride, smell the roses.

Pack the minimal amount of gear.  You aren't going to Mongolia.  My rule of
thumb, if I can buy it on the road, if I need it, I don't carry it.  Of
course this does not include things like tools and sustenance.  Bring along
meds, a first aid kit, and basic tools like zip-ties, duct tape, small and
med size vice grips, along with the basic ST tool kit.  Carry H2O, plenty of
water, and drink often.  Have some granola bars, or somesuch, some beef
jerky is nice as well.  I always have some hard candy as well, something
sweet to melt in your mouth.  Don't forget the chap stick, your lips will
appreciate it.  And sunscreen is a must, even in the winter, or cloudy days.
  Wear earplugs!  You don't wanna go deaf.

Carry raingear, even if you have a "waterproof" riding suit.  Most are not,
really.  Carry two extra sets of gloves.  Nothing sucks more than wet, cold
hands.  bring extra warm undergarments, you just don't never know when you
will want an extra layer.  Electrics are the bomb, if you have them, bring
them.  If you don't, get some, for next time.

Pledge furniture polish makes a great face shield cleaner, the small size,
lemon scented  :-)

Most of all, relax and enjoy the ride.  Stay alert, pay attention and have
some FUN !!!
After all, if you ain't having fun, what's the point??????

Cheers,

eL Donut
jinete en la tormenta

STeve Duncan