RE: [ST] List sponsorship help

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 12:09 -0500, Rupert Galea wrote:
> > Two ideas:-
> >

> > 1. There must be somebody on here that can get stickers made up for
> the
> > for the ST list. We can spend months arguing about the artwork for one
> > and then complain at the cost. But at least the spin off is payment
> for
> > the hosting etc.
> >
> > 2. Now I've not been on here two long. But I was always very
> interested
> > in the original startup of the list. Can anyone put into prose a story
> > for the web site. It would make interesting reading.
> >
> > My two cents again
> >
> > --
> > simonb <simonb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> > UMAX-IT Limited
>
> Great ideas Simon. While we are at it anyone have the knowledge to add
> some one liners for 2001-2004/5 to this?
> http://www.triumphnet.com/history.htm
> Rupert

2000'S
The dawn of the 21st Century saw Triumph build its 100,000th bike at the
Hinckley plant and release two brand new motorcycles.   The first, the
sports middleweight TT600, met the Japanese manufacturers squarely on
their turf.  With a 599cc fuel-injected inline four-cylinder engine and
a chassis that was won universal praise the TT600 was the only non-
Japanese contender in the class.   Perhaps even bigger news for Triumph
was the unveiling of the second new model ? the Bonneville. An evocative
790cc air-cooled parallel twin, the new Bonnie combined the look, feel
and soul of the legendary late ?60s T120. It was an immediate success
and the cruiser-style Bonneville America followed hard on its heels,
specifically designed for the US rider.

Then fate intervened again.   Just as Triumph geared up for the busy
coming season, the factory was devastated by fire.  The blaze of 15th of
March 2002 saw the complete destruction of the main stores, injection
moulding area, chassis and final assembly lines while the rest of the
plant was heavily smoke damaged.   Undeterred, even though the fire was
one of the largest industrial conflagrations ever to occur in Britain,
Triumph immediately set about rebuilding and almost six months to the
day, the rebuilt factory was fully operational.  R & D was unaffected by
the fire and soon after the factory re-opened the the four-cylinder
Daytona 600 supersports bike was shown publicly for the very first time.

Spearheading a return to racing the Daytona 600 competed successfully in
the British Supersports championships of 2003 and 2004 and scored a win
at the Isle of Man TT at its first attempt.

Other new models have followed since including the amazing Rocket III,
the first production motorcycle to break the 2-litre barrier and most
recently a brand new Sprint ST and Speed Triple.

With a comprehensive ongoing model development programme and continual
factory investment who knows what the rest of this decade may bring..

- --
simonb <simonb@xxxxxxxxxxx>