[ST] Re: RS acting up

Scuse the slow reply. We're on scrumpy time here in Somerset...

I have a 2000 RS. I had exactly the same symptoms of random cutting out, and in my case it came down to the safety switch on the sidestand making a bad contact - so sometimes thinking it was down when it was up. I pulled the leads, sprayed it all thoroughly with WD40 while working the plunger, and it cured it.

I hear the clutch safety switch can also give the same trouble.

On the other member's poor/rapid idle issue, I've had that too. Getting the race tune and an open can helps a lot with low rpm behaviour in traffic, but the fast idle is a different problem and needs sorting in a shop - it sounds like you need to have the butterflies re-synchronised, and the idle CO should be set to around 3%. The idle controller has sensors and hoses going into it too, and any one of those making bad contact or leaking can upset it. Get the tank off and give it all a spring clean!

Greybeard