[ST] RS vs 05 ST vs Thruxton

greetings all.

I did a long ride with a bunch of riders from the local triumph club yesterday. In all 8 riders pitched, plus a guy on a K1200RS Beemer. We did 530 kms (330 miles) though some decent passes, and I had 60km run through the Montague pass on a demo ST1050.

I also got a chance to try out the new Thruxton on Friday.

here's my two cents worth:

The Thruxton is brilliant fun - don't ride this if you don't want to buy one. Its contagious! This one had free-flow pipes, sounds fantastic, and goes very well. Its a great bike for short runs, the Sunday ride was too long and fast on the open stretches for the two riders on  Thruxtons . I could see myself buying one of these as a nice second bike to have - it gets attention everywhere and its a hoot to ride.

The ST1050 is a very well balanced package. Has more grunt than my RS, and a more comfortable smoother ride. The suspension is a touch soft for my taste, the back end especially, I found it affected my confidence in the twisty stuff. I prefer a more "planted" feel.

The wind protection is spot on, and the mirrors are better, although they vibrate a bit. The lights and dash are also an improvement. It was very hot when I rode it - at least 30 degrees Celsius, and I didn't find it any warmer that my RS.

As a sport tourer it makes other alternatives (like the VFR800) look pathetic. Way nicer to ride than the VFR, with a potent top end rush my RS doesn't have.

That said, I actually prefer my RS . I prefer the stiffer suspension and the noise my RS makes.

For the ST1050 to work for me it would need a set of free-flow pipes to give it more character, and more compression and rebound damping adjustment on the rear end.

cheers

Marc
Cape Town

Information contained in this e-mail and any attachments is intended
for the use of the person(s) to whom it was addressed.
If you are not the addressee, you may not copy, forward, disclose or deliver
this message or any part of it to anyone else.If you received this e-mail in error,
please reply to the sender of this message, and delete the mail.Any views expressed in
this message are those of the individual sender,except where the sender specifically states
them to be those of The Foschini Group of Companies, to whom no liability shall attach whatsoever.

The Foschini Group disclaims all liability for any loss, damage or expense however caused, arising
from the use or reliance upon the information provided through this service.
Any recipient of an unacceptable communication, a chain letter or offensive material
of any nature is requested to report this to email address: security@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx