Re: [ST] Coolant Temp Sensor

Hey Jay,

The surge you describe sounds like the classic fuelling problem that Triumph
has been playing down and trying fix for quite a while. A lot of magazine
reviews mention it from the '99 ST onwards. I had a '99 ST and it had quite a bad
surge at 60kmph. I tried to get the mechanics to chase it but most of them
would say they cant feel it. Their time restrictions would come into play here as
it was quite a subtle feel at first and would get worse after a few miles. I
would 'clear' it by a quick squirt with the throttle.

>From what I have been able to gather its a combination of the chosen ECU unit
and the ignition mapping. I believe that somewhere around 2000 or 2001 they
changed the supplier of the ECU and the mapping and that helped but didnt
completely solve the problem.

I have heard of a few people that claim they have solved the problem on their
own by tickering using a laptop and getting hold of various programs and re
mapping it themselves. Personally I didnt what to put my trust in such people
on our little island. Perhaps you would have more luck in the US.

For whats its worth my '05 ST shows signs of the same thing, although not as
bad as my '99. I'm hoping this will disappear after the run in period and its
first service, but somehow I think I hope in vain.

Hope this helps,

Brett
Sydney