From: st-triumphnet.com-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:st-triumphnet.com-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of JUSTIN
SHREAVES
Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2005 7:58 PM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; David Earl
Subject: Re: [ST] Valve Clearance issues

Thanks everybody for the fase responses. The valve clearances will now be
adjusted as I was right in that my Haynes manual was wrong.

The case bolt I were talking about were the engine cases, top to bottom.
There are two sized bolts, diameter wise. My manual was calling for 10nm on
the small ones, and 28nm on the larger ones. I believe they were 6mm and
8mm, respectively.

I bought a used engine on ebay, with 10k on it, and wanted to do an overly
thorough inspection before installation, as I noticed silicone used on the
oil pan, rather than a gasket. So, I pulled everything apart, less the
head/rotating assembly, and verified everything would be up to task of my
very hard riding. I was primarily looking for any problem of possible oil
starvation since the pan was dropped. Everything was fine, and all the
specs. match up to be withing japanese tolerances on the bearings.

Also, any special sealant I should have used on the cases? I generally
always use my trusty "Mopar" alum. to aluminum red anarobic stuff. Never had
a leak, or metal problems with Jap. engines, but just wondering if anyone
here recomends something.

Once again, thank to all..

Justin
00 ST

David Earl <dlearl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>WHOA THERE!!!

My manual says 10nm for the cam cover bolts and the camshaft caps.

Which is correct. 25nm will more than likely strip the threads in your
cylinder head, like it did mine. And FWIW, my machinist's spec book as well
as my mechanic both recommend 8 nm for that size bolt.

I don't know about typo, the dealer from whom I bought my manual (and who
bore the brunt of my rage upon stripping my head) insisted the number was
correct, that I had the wrong manual. (AFAIK, there is only ONE ST manual,
but who knows. He said there are two. Funny thing is I bought my manual from
him, IN 1999) But like I said, anyone who knows ANYTHING knows you can't put
25 nm of torque on a 6 mm bolt....especially a steel bolt into aluminum.

David
'99ST