Re: [ST] What's the Sprint's current competition?

On 18 Jul 2005, at 08:14, Patti Beadles wrote:

It's been a while since I've been bike shopping, and I haven't kept
up with what's on the market.  If you were shopping for something
that could be a daily commuter and also good for recreational
riding both solo and two-up, had hard luggage, and didn't have a
wildly aggressive riding position, what would you consider?

Most bikes of any size can take after-market hard luggage, so unless your friend is keen for factory fitted luggage, I don't see that as a constraint. Having said that, based on what seems to be case in UK currently, the main competition appears to be from the soft-roaders: the BMW 1200GS and Triumph Tiger are both selling very well currently and both get rave reviews as touring bikes. Beyond that, the 2005 sprint seems to win almost every comparison it enters right now, though I did see it lost out to the GSX1000 in this months 'two' magazine in a comparison of 'all round' value. I guess given the range of uses you put, the natural other bike to consider is the VFR800 - though I would also suggest the (I think rather underrated but quite good value) TDM900.

Best regards

Gavin Lawrie
ST'03