Re: [ST] MotoGP trials rider

Thanks for the info, I haven't been able to find that on the Internet and I haven't talked to a dealer but I found out I have a Gas Gas dealer in my hometown. Don't think he has bikes in stock though.

The Pro models are not easy to ride compared to the "Edition" models. They are very quick steering, and the power comes on like a bomb going off. I guess that's what you'd expect from a 280cc two-stroke that weigh ~145lbs. Also, the geometry makes them less roomy for the rider. They are perfect for competition, though. When I ride *trails* (as opposed to trials), I find the pro to be somewhat uncomfortable. I think it is designed for a rider looking 6 feet ahead, not 30 feet ahead -- and this causes neck pain for me...

Are you familiar with the term minder bikes?

Sort of. I have to guess, though. I know they are usually from competition environments. The competitors from other countries buy brand new trials bikes, ride them for the competition and then sell them after the competition because they can't take them with them (usually for about $1K less than the price of a new one -- not bad for a bike with a day's worth of riding on it). There are also bikes used to get the judges and other support people out to the sections. So, if I had to guess, I'd say that a minder bike is a trials bike used by one of the support people -- such as one of the guys that catches bikes when the rider can't make it up a big step. IOW, they may be the golf carts of trials riding...

If you want an actual answer, I suggest calling Adrian Lewis @ 209-785-6878. Adrian is the owner of http://www.lewisportusa.com. These are the people I deal with for my trials needs, I would not hesitate to buy a bike from them sight unseen, BTW.

--
Peckham

2003 GasGas TXT200 Pro
2002 GasGas TXT280