From: Steve Lawler <slawler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ST] Kick A$$ roads
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:19:51 -0400

In a previous email, Matt Knowles stated:

On Jul 25, 2005, at 2:34 PM, Steve Lawler wrote:

CA 299 from Redding to Arcata (I saw two state troopers between Shasta and Douglas City but it was clear after that).

You got that close to me and you didn't stop by and say hello? Shame on you.

I had two good excuses. First, we arrived in the area around 8pm and my son wanted to go through Redwood National Forest before sundown and we had to be in Seattle by 6:00pm the next day. Second, I knew that you lived in northern CA but I couldn't remember which town. All I could think of was "Knowlesville" and I knew that was wrong. It wasn't until we stopped in a restaurant in Crescent City around 10pm* when I saw something that said "Ferndale." If we weren't under a schedule I would have loved to have contacted you and, at the very least, see your studio.

That and you missed out on riding HWY 36. Way more fun than 299, and you wouldn't have seen any law enforcement.

299 was fun enough in Dodge Grand Caravan. We were being dogged by two kids in an older Toyota Land Cruiser. The could not keep up with us on the up hills but they were on my tail on the down hills. As they finally passed us outside Arcata they gave me a "thumbs up."

* Yeah, I know. Two hours to get from Arcata to Crescent City? We got side tracked in Redwood. If it weren't for the GPS we would have been there for hours. As it was, the only restaurant in Klamath was closed when we got there.

-- Steve Lawler Verona, NJ, USA

2001 Sprint ST "Blue Devil"

"We're not lost. We're locationally challenged."
            -- John M. Ford