Re: [ST] Garmin 2610 vs 276C and mounts

Rupert,
I have a garmin Street Pilot III. It is color, and has a 128MB card in it. I can load up everything west of the Mississippi on it at once. If I ever go east I can just reload it. I took a trip this summer through Nevada, Arizona, Utah,Wyoming and all of California. I was able to load all of these states in with no trouble. I am using a RAM mount attached to the center bolt of the gas tank up by the steering neck. See pics at www.garlic.com/~agarvin. I bought all my RAM mount hardware from
http://www.rka-luggage.com/ but I don't know if they still carry it.
Total cost of mount was about $30.00. I don't remember who I bought the power cable from but if you do a google search for Gramin Parts you'll find it. I use the Mapsource program that came with the Garmin to plan out routes on the large screen and then download them into the SP III. It loads quick. What I use it mostly for is finding Motorcycle shops that I haven't been to. Just input the address and say "Route to it" and it takes you there. I also have a hook up to speakers in my helmet to get audio directions, but I don't use that much. The only downside is having to remove it and put it in my panniers when I stop somewhere and want to park the bike for a while. But it comes off easily and goes back on quick.
Al Garvin
San Martin, Ca.

Rupert Galea wrote:

I have been looking at GPS units.

The 276C seems to be better in every way (much nice screen, can run on
battery) EXCEPT it cannot take regular compact flash cards so you are
stuck with an expensive Garmin 256MB card. Whereas with the 2610 you
can put a cheap 2GB card in and have all the maps for the US.

Does anyone have any experience with these? What are people using for mounts?
Rupert