Re: [ST] Speaking of bags...

In a previous email, Bil Swartz wrote:

Speaking of bags, while on the road this past weekend I removed one of the
panniers for whatever reason and when rotating the handle up a little spring
loaded ball-bearing popped out.  It looks like it's purpose is just to make
for a down position "locator", must spring into an indent down there somewhere
but I don't see the trick to putting the ball back in the hole.

Anyone else had this happen and know the trick?  Dang things are practically
brand new and shouldn't be falling apart yet!

A few weeks ago I noticed that one of the balls had come out of its hole but had not fallen out completely. I removed the handle, held it with the hole facing up. Then I carefully put the ball on the spring and lowered the pivot piece onto it. Once it was together I held it tightly and reinserted the assembly into the bag. In an effort to prevent this from happening again I put a nylon washer on the pivot at the other end of the handle thus pushing the end of the handle with the ball tighter to the pivot.

And speaking of springs...
Back in the fall I replaced my fuel connectors. While I had one disassembled the little springs shot off into space like a watermelon seed. I kept the old connectors just in case I should need them. Last week I was in the garage sitting on a milk crate talking on the phone when I looked down and saw the spring sitting neatly in a crack in the garage floor. I picked it up, found the old connector and reassembled it. Now I have a full spare set of connectors!

--
Steve Lawler
Verona, NJ, USA

2001 Sprint ST "Blue Devil"

"If people never did silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done."
            -- Ludwig Wittgenstein