Re: [ST] Ride Report - UK -> Slovenia

On 2 Jun 2005, at 01:14, Matt Knowles wrote:

 What software did you use to create it? What
camera do you have?

Just a wild guess here. Smugmug and an HP Photosmart C850. But looking into my gazing ball, I also see that he is running v07.37 firmware.

Hello,

Sorry for not replying sooner - just been away for a couple of days and out of email contact.

Thanks to all for positive feedback. Glad it is not too shabby a report. Hope to be off on a couple more trips this summer, and will write them up too. To answer the various questions...

STeve: 140mph was fun - scary to think I wasn't the fastest thing on road though (which were Audi and Porsche cars). Was cold at top of Glossglockner pass, but not so cold as to need anything more than heated grips, a sweatshirt under my leather jacket and a buff neck warmer. Main issue was the change from bottom of hill to top... and back again...

Rupert: The report was created in Pages - the word processing package from Apple (part of iWork if you follow such things), using one of their standard templates. The photos were imported into Pages from iPhoto 5.0.2. The photos were taken using my old HP Photosmart 850 (a now out of print 4.13 Megapixel point and shoot... I think in the USA it was sold mostly as the HP 945, which had a slightly better resolution - 5.xx mega pixel I think). As a camera 850 takes very clean photos (in natural light at least) but built in flash is pretty poor and battery life appallingly short: main reason I went for it (in late 2002) was it had a pretty good lens (in 35mm camera terms, 35mm wide angle through to about 200mm telephoto, with f2.8 to f3.1). Has quite a range of adjustments, but access to them is awkward (have to do via on-screen menus, not so good for quick fire shooting), and there is about a 1 sec delay between pressing shutter button and taking photo, which makes action shots largely impossible. It is also fairly bulky (due to large lens mainly), so makes a good landscape camera, but less good for other things. I also have a Nikon Coolpix 3200 - which is tiny enough to fit into jeans pocket. But pictures from Nikon are not nearly as good (lower resolution, major barrel distortion problems), so use primarily for snapshots.

A couple of the photos were massaged slightly in iPhoto 5.02, but most are unchanged from what was imported from camera.

Matt: You are absolutely right... Firmware installed is 1.01.06, which is latest version of firmware installer that you can download from HP (dates from 2003). But when you check firmware you get screens of gobbledegook that means diddly to me, so it might well be that the 1.01.06 installer installs version 7.37... And yes, the photos are hosted on smugmug - which I've not used before, but seems to be about a billion times more useful than anything else I have tried for this type of thing.

Anyhow - thanks again for the warm feedback and encouragement. Much appreciated.

Best regards

Gavin Lawrie
ST'03