[ST] overdue ride report part three of ????

Sun is up, glorious sunrise and I can now see how absolutely horrible and barren west Texas is and the eternal straight line road as far as I can imagine keeps unfolding before me, UUHG! This is about when I start losing track of time until San Diego. Midland, Tx home of the president. Why in gods name anyone would live there is beyond me, dirty smelly and desolate pretty much like everything else in this part of the state. Odessa, Pecos and Sierra Blanca all the same mile after mile after mile and now getting hotter than hell. I start to see signs for El Paso. I just want to be out of Texas at this point not realizing that the rest of the trip is just as bad, but a lot hotter. I think I reached El Paso around noon, not sure. Stopped for a drink of water and more of those wonderfully crappy health bars and a few more red bulls, called home and told the better half I am amazed I'm not really very tired and I know I'll make it unless something bad goes wrong. She was concerned that I had only slept for a half hour and I told her I'd stop and nap at the next rest area, but not this one. I was too lazy or delirious to walk to the bathroom and pee'd in the middle of the rest area parking lot which drew a lot of very unfavorable stares and comments. This is where my personality started to change. My vocal reply to comments made from onlookers was something to the effect of WTF are you looking at and FO. Got back on the bike and rode off into the never ending desert and heat.
I started hearing an uncontrollable siren going off inside my helmet from this point on and the RS started talking to me in several different rpm noises and all I could picture was I had no legs and the bike was part of me from the waist down. Most people would probably realize at this point they needed to stop, but not me, I was perfectly fine. I passed a couple of Harleys with ape hangers and was totally amused by them and finally got to a rest area and did the picnic table routine again. One half hour later I woke up because I was sweating profusely and had the worst case of dry mouth ever. Got a sip of water and got back on the road. New Mexico cops everywhere and I became irritated with the silly speed zones in the middle of nowhere taking me from my nice 80-85 mph down to something ridiculous like 45 mph. New Mexico didn't come and go fast enough and only turned into Southern Arizona which is more of the same desert and miles and miles of it. The heat was unbearable and the road so hot my feet started burning and the sirens were really going off inside my helmet, but the bike was happy. SLEEP DEPRIVATION, it finally dawned on me, but I ignored it and figure since I recognized it I'd be able to cheat it. Tucson, ss3000 mark, one of several gas stops to keep me awake. Cussed out station clerk because my credit cards were starting the flagging process and wouldn't work without me going all the way inside. Took off and forgot my gloves on the sleeping bag roll. Lost gloves in the middle of a busy street and had to turn around and retrieve them. Found a gas station and approached a guy at the next pump for witness signature. He refused to verify my mileage and I had an alternate personality moment once again. I thought I'll just get the verification when I get to San Diego. Shortly after leaving Tucson I saw something out of the corner of my eye up in the sky. I look and there is a helicopter running parallel to me at a low altitude. To this day I don't know if it was really there, but I choose to think it was. I laughed at it in my semi psychotic state and waved and it came towards me, SHIT now I have sirens going off in my helmet, the bike is talking to me, I'm tired, hot and helicopters are following me, but I was ok.
I remember thinking to myself, probably out loud, how stupid people are for coming to this part of the country to live for the winter. RV areas and trailer parks all over this desolate place.
Yuma and the sun was starting to go down, THANK GOD FOR THE SUNSET! Last gas stop before San Diego, really pumped up now. Call home give psychotic travel update to better half and get on the road for the home stretch. As I was riding along I remember a truck driver somewhere telling me something about mountains in California and I'd cool down there. MOUNTAINS, cool, up one side and down the other is what I was thinking. I had never been to this part of the country prior to this and thought mountains meant a few miles up and back down kind of like in Tennessee. It gets dark, I am suffering big time from lack of sleep and water intake. I am paranoid of animals jumping out in front of me and wonder when the mountains are going to happen. I think I was gradually going up for quite awhile and then all of a sudden I realized I was going downhill and the road started to wind and it kept getting worse as I went up, up, down, around, in, out and it was getting colder and colder, but I didn't want to stop because I would be in San Diego soon and I'd be in a nice city and find a nice motel and have a nice sleep and it would all be over.
After about 90 miles of mountains I am freezing and can see glimpses of San Diego off in the distance way the hell down below me and traffic was getting very busy and very fast on these twisting turning strange roads with 1 hour of sleep in the dark and 40-50mph gusts of wind thrown in the mix. Don't forget that siren thats been going off for the last decade inside my helmet and the talking bike. I was really messed up by all of the information that was trying to make it's way into my brain and felt like I was riding in some sort of live surreal motorcycle traffic video game. I honestly thought this was the decent to hell and once in the city of San Diego realized I was going to probably die on the road. I think there was like four lanes of 85-90 mph traffic and signs everywhere. Everything was moving to fast to read the exit signs and I really didn't know where I was going except I was suppose to be at the Coronado fire department for my check in. So I'm looking for anything that say Coronado this or that and it never happens. Finally I decide to get off the four lane race track and gather my senses, which I lost long ago and make a bee line for the next exit ramp. From 90mph off the highway onto this exit that almost immediately turned into a downhill 360 degree turn below the road I was just on. Sign says something like 25mph. I just stopped the bike at the side of the ramp and sat there thinking about all I had been through in the last 40 hours and I'm close to the end and I'm going to die before I finish.
I get out my cell phone a call the fire department get the guy who I am suppose to meet and start babbling incoherently about everything I'm going through and how lost I am and how I'm going to die. He immediately recognizes the state of mind and body I am in and tries to calm me down and send his wife out to escort me in. He tells me I'm only a mile or so from the station and I tell him to give me directions and not to send his wife out at 11:00pm. I did this routine a few more times circling the same area on off ramps and back by the same buildings. I pull another bee line for the side of the road and this time stop right on the ramp where there is only about a foot of shoulder and this van goes by me and misses me by about 6 inches, Holy Crap. He stops a the bottom of the ramp and is staring at me and I'm thinking he's going to beat me to death and steal my cash. So I wait and wait for what seems like an hour, but actually only a few minutes and decide to go face the music. I went down the ramp slower than I've ridden in 41.5 hours and stop next to this guys van and he is wide eyed and screaming at me about crazy F****ing this and that in his best Mexican accent and I tell him I'm lost and have never been here and probably told him about the helicopter and siren and bike talking to me and that I just needed to get to the Coronado fire department so I could check in. He just looked at me for a minute and said "I take you". I said pleeeease go slow, no problem and he takes of through the back streets of San Diego going 45-50mph. He led me through so many turns and neighborhoods that I still cannot comprehend how anyone gets anywhere there. And all of a sudden I see horrible fog and the road starts going up and up and up, I am on a bridge and cannot see anything because of the fog the bridge goes up and starts curving to the right and then a steep decent and bam, stop at the bottom almost rear ending the new found friend. He points and says something about go here and turn and there and turn and you are there. I understood him and went to the fire station and my witness was outside with a flash light waving me to my finish.
Never have I been so glad or so thankful to end a bike ride than I was then. It was like reaching heaven when I set foot on solid ground inside the fire station. My fireman witness immediately notice how dehydrated and tired I was and set me down in front of bottles of water and gatorade and told me to just drink and to not talk. He then said I wasn't fit to go anywhere and I took a bunk at the fire station and slept for 5 wonderful hours.
My 50cc was done in 42 hrs and I had to wait until morning to get my final gas receipt which made me nervous and also miss the ss3000 time limit, but I did get my gas receipt with 5 minutes to spare even though I arrived 8 hours early. There are no bonuses for arriving early. In the morning he took me to the beach to get my west coast sand and took my picture by some famous motel at the beach and escorted be towards the highway out of town and this is where I had a few thoughts of doing an ss 5000, but didn't decide to go for it until later that night.

part 4 coming

TimE