[ST] Re: 2002 ST DOWN UNDER. SERIOUS RATTLE

G'day folks.
I have mentioned this before - but seems to be getting worse.  When I
back off ( de-accelerate )in any gear I get a very loud metalic rattle.
Seems to be coming from the front of the engine - but that may be
wrong.

Bike has done 33k klm ( say 19k miles ) mostly fast touring. Has always
been serviced on spec and everything else is perfert.

I have adjusted the chain to within spec and the chain has no major
tight spots and is good condition, as are the F&R sprockets. I dont
think the chain is beyond it's useful life - but am prepared to replace
chain and both sprockets to get rid of this noise - would be a sh?t if
I did that and the noise was still there :(

Can this be a timing chain rattle ?  I will take the bike to the shop
next week - but - would prefer to hear from someone who has had this
symptom before. You all know what bike shops are like when you ask
" what is this noise ?? "

Mine can't be the only one that has had this.

Thx for your collective inputs, wisdom ( at patience )

Cheers / Harry T/Red 2002 ST