Re: [ST] Panniers & parts info

On 3 Jun 2005, at 14:30, Bil Swartz wrote:

Those are all good points to seal Brett but all I did on my '99 was draw a
bead of silicon all the way around the "lip" that joins the gasket seal area
to the bag and that eliminated most of my leaking.

I've not had any leaking on the '03 bags yet but having been in any all-day
soakers on it yet either. Thanks for the tips.

The panniers on my 03 have leaked for as long as I have had the bike (about a year). I read in this forum tales of water tight panniers, and assumed I just had a dud pair. But earlier this year I replaced one of my panniers (one fell off ... :( ) with a new one from Triumph. This new one leaks just as badly as the old one did - so I am pretty sure it is just a duff design.

What I find frustrating is discussions about what mods you need to do to make them waterproof at all - I've had Krauser panniers on earlier bikes that never leaked, and I have heard from others that Givi's panniers are water-tight too.

The Triumph panniers look good on the ST, but they (at least the 03 versions) really don't work very well. If mine didn't have them fitted already, I would save some money and put proper ones on instead.

Gavin Lawrie
ST'03