RE: [ST] James - battery

Yep, I'm back and thought about doing a ride (um, drive report). :)  I
think I have the battery worked out.

I didn't get to ride while in Alaska at all.  My wife and I flew our 4
children and 2 spouses to Alaska and drove lots of places (Anchorage,
Seward (got some great halibut!), Denali, Fairbanks, and parts
in-between) for 2 weeks.  Saw a few bikers during the first week, but
when the weather got warmer we saw lots more the 2nd week.  Saw one
group of at least 50 bikers, almost entirely cruisers.

Saw one group of 3 sport types (Busa, Kaw 1000, and something else)
between Fairbanks and Denali Park, and another group of about 4 sport
bikers between Anchorage and Portage.  I pulled over when I saw the
first group at a gas station and we chatted a bit.  One guy had replaced
ALL the plastic--he's been down.  We kept catching up to them as they
paused to stretch.  I just kept the borrowed Expedition on 65 mph.  I
don't think they ever really lit it up.  Don't know if I would in that
country either.  There was very little LEO presence, but the drivers
were the most courteous I've ever seen anywhere.  None of this trying to
match your speed while you try to pass, etc.  Just very courteous.

Alaska seems to be a great place to ride, but there are some problems.
Cold temp is the first problem.  Plus, I noticed the further North we
got the worse the roads were in places.  Lots of freeze heave, but there
were also places where the road had been repaved, and all in all , the
roads were fine.  There are lots of wild animals in that state.  They
are everywhere.  We saw so many I think I would have been paranoid if on
a bike.  It would certainly temper my desire for faster riding.

I told my wife I wanted to drop ship my Sprint to Prudhoe Bay and ride
it back to Tennessee, but she'd have none of that.  Said I couldn't
unless I took someone with me because she was concerned about me running
off the road and laying there for days as the eagles and ravens ate on
me.  I don't know what she's so concerned about, as I've only run off
the road once and didn't even drop it when I did.

Anyone here on the list from Alaska?

James