Re: [ST] July Rider

David

Crossed lines on my part there I'm afraid.  I was referring to Erik's
test of an 05 ST where he had an indicated 'overall MPG' of 36.

The width and frequency of the injector openings would give a good
figure if they stayed calibrated and did not wear.  As far as mixture is
concerned, lambda sensors (O2) allow compensation for this wear so the
engine management would shorten the pulse as wear takes place, or
lengthen it as soot builds up.

I would expect a magazine to calculate mpg the way you say.

Chris Harwood
00 RS

>>> david.funk@xxxxxxxxxxx 08/06/2005 18:29:30 >>>
Chris

I though the Rider MPG was calculated from the gas put into the tank
and the miles traveled (most likely measured by the bikes odometer).
Since magazines usually publish the MPG for all motorcycles tested, many
without computer fuel consumption.

I would expect that Computer fuel consumption systems would just count
the injector cycles to get the fuel usage. This is too easy to dream of
using some other method.

David W. Funk
'00 Sprint ST
Pleasanton, CA