Re: [ST] SS Brake Lines?

There is the cheapskate technique of squeezing the lever in as far as it
will go for 3-4 minutes.
That brings back the sharpness for several miles.

Chris Harwood
00 RS

>>> wyckoffjustin@xxxxxxxxx 14/06/2005 19:56:15 >>>
Nate,

Thanks for the info, but everytime I change tires and/or brake pads, I
clean the hell out of the pistons. All of my bikes get this treatment,
as I am hard on my bikes, and especially the brakes. Luckily, I get
almost 6k out of a set of D208's, so it's done very frequently, lol. But
thanks again for the advice. I was debating for a while on the brembo,
as I heard the 19x18mm radial makes it more like superbike brakes, and
will bring it more like my track bike's brakes. Now it has just forced
me to finally get it.

Justin

Nathan Maher <nate@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Justin,

If your bike has more than a couple thousand miles on it you've
probably
got clogged pistons in the calipers. It's an easy thing to fix and I
address it at every other oil change now. I used to have instructions
for exactly how to clean the calipers but there's really nothing
technical about it. Remove one of the front calipers and the brake
pads.
Apply gentle pressure to the brake lever being careful not to push the

cylinders too far as leakage and air bubbles can result. More than
likely you'll see that one or more of the pistons doesn't function
properly. If this is the case apply a liberal amount of brake cleaner
the pistons and attempt to wipe out the excess. Manually move the
pistons by hand back into the caliper being careful not to push them to

far as you will overflow the brake-fluid reservoir and get fluid
everywhere. How do I know? Don't ask ;). After that it's repeat,
repeat, repeat until all of the pistons move freely and together. Then

do the other side.

The first time I did this it was after 12k miles and my brakes were
seriously fugged up. After completing the cleaning it was like getting
new bike.

Hope that helps,

Nate
00SprintRS

JUSTIN SHREAVES wrote:
> I just did the conversion, but now need a master cylinder,
as the feel is exactly the same, with all the proper bleeding
techniques. On my other bikes, it makes a world of difference.
But I cannot verify on my 00 ST..