[ST] Plugged Tires, Final Answer

I have to ask the question on this one - is there any case where a tyre has suffered catastrophic failure after being plugged from the inside?

I personally have not heard of such a case. A few years back I ran a back tyre with three such plugs in it, simply because I could not afford a new one. I sought a fair bit of advice at the time and every mechanic I spoke to assured me it would be fine and it was.

Like most things in life its a personal choice.

Cheers
Brett
Sydney

Ok, this is my last word on this subject, so here goes.

Does anyone think that a plugged tire is "just as good" as a new tire? Does everyone agree that we only have two tires between us and the tarmac? Does anyone dispute that riding is intrinsically dangerous? Do you wear a helmet?

Why on earth would anyone take a chance with a tire that has been compromised? I don't get it. Save a few bucks? You are in the wrong sport. Plugged tires are "compromised" They no longer meet the speed rating they were built to. Ask any expert, ANY expert. Check any tire manufacturer's website. You will not find anyone with technical knowledge for motorcycle tire technology recommending riding on a plugged tire.

Tire technology is an exact science, our tires are built to exacting specifications for a very good reason. I hear all the rhetoric about this tire and that tire in comparisons and we split hairs over which gives better traction in the wet, in the corners, which has better mileage. Ad infinitum. And now all the same folks are saying, ah hell, stick a plug in it, it'll be "OK"

If you people are gonna argue the merits of rubber compounds and thread patterns, FOR YEARS, and then turn around and tell me, ahh go ahead punch a hole in the mutherfucker it's all good, all I can say is..........

Bullshit.  Hypocritical.

eL Donut jinete en la tormenta

STeve Duncan
'00-Sprint-ST