[ST] Re: Octane

Garry,
I'm running the same tune on my ST and see the same thing. That's kinda
normal.  Anything will ping if you do that, it just is a matter of how bad
and how much you loaded the thing in too high of a gear.  Most engineer
types who deal with the octane thing on a regular basis will tell you that
an engine will "learn" an octane.  By that I mean if you run premium and
for a while then the ping will go away (under the same conditions).  Those
same guys will tell you that you may not get the power you expected and
you may not get as clean a combustion if you use premium when the engine
was designed for regular.  On modern engines combustion chamber design has
allowed much better combustion without detonation at lower octanes.

I had some real bad loss of power in that same situation until I replaced
the plugs and ran some sea foam though it.
Rod