Re: [ST] Tried the archieves again...

On 6/19/05, Jeremy Witt <jeremyw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> But now fuel is pissing all over my garage floor.
>
> I took a 100 mile scoot up to Maine and smelled gas when I arrived.  Didn't think much of it.  Smelled it again on a pit stop on the way home and now that it's in my garage, it stinks.
>
> Took the seat cowl off and exposed the fuel hoses and the lower-rear one was moist.  Of course, I touched it and now fuel flows in a steady drip.  Disconnecting the connector stops the flow that appears to be coming out of the hose.  Clicking it back together and the leak is worse.  Currently disconnected.
>
> I recall recent talk regarding the crappy plastic fuel connectors but after 10 minutes of searching, I haven't found an answer.
>
> Is the fix a new o-ring?  Can't stand that Skittles is benched already!
>
> TIA,
> JDW & Skittles

Jeremy,
The quick disconnects were recalled and the male sides replaced with
metal ones. The down side to this is they no longer have a valve in
them to stop fuel coming out when you disconnect them. I never had
problems with the plastic connectors. The first thing to check is the
o-rings. They are easy to nick. It helps to lube them before
reconnecting them and make sure you have the angle of attack right
when pushing them back in.

In the past I have been able to get o-rings from my local ACE hardware
store. They are a standard size. Make sure they are made of Nitrile.
Viton ones are even better but you will not find them at your local
hardware store. You can also get them at Ducati dealers as well as
Triumph dealers (and possible BMW dealers).

Recently the hose that connects to the (lower) plastic elbow that
comes out of the tank was leaking. I put in a new piece of high
pressure hose and two regular hose clamps and so far so good.

My guess is it is a bad o-ring.
Rupert