Re: [ST] Guess it was my turn... Repost

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, Rick & Joyce wrote:

<snip most of crash report>

Major bummer! Sorry to hear it and glad that you and Gabe were (mostly)
unhurt.

> Observations:
> - The shift linkage sure is fragile.  The good news is you can ride just
> about anywhere in 3rd.   Early 955i Speed Triple ('99 - 01?) direct shifters
> bolt right on.
> - The ST's long peg feelers act as a lever which twists the foot peg,
> increasing crash damage.  They'll either be removed or shortened.
> - My Triumph Aspen riding suit did its job, while suffering a few scrapes
> and tears.  It may be totaled, but I'm not.  The armor it had worked.  Other
> than a very minor abrasion on my hip I've no road rash.

I'm wondering if you factored into this "whether or not to self-insure"
equation. I believe that your gear should be covered, and will probably
not be cheap to replace. You might want to check before you file the claim
though.

> - Any bets on whether the insurance company will want me to install the new
> parts?

Typically no - you give the bike to a dealer for an estimate (which you
pay for up front - 1 hour labour figure $75-85) and the estimate includes
all the parts *and* labour to install them. The insurance company cuts you
a check for that amount and you can do whatever you want with the check -
leave the bike ugly if you like and just pocket it, or give it to the
dealer to do the work, or do the work yourself and keep the $ for the
labor.

*If* you make the claim, the formal estimate step is non-negotiable, AND
you do run the risk that if the formal damage estimate is > X% of the
value of the bike, the insurance company will declare it totalled. That opens
a whole different can of worms, but it isn't all bad either.

Best of luck with the insurance co and the healing process!

Paul