RE: [ST] Guess it was my turn... Repost

Paul wrote:
> I'm wondering if you factored into this "whether or not to self-insure"
> equation. I believe that your gear should be covered, and will probably
> not be cheap to replace. You might want to check before you file the claim
> though.

Yes, I did.  I've already read the policy (Progressive) which, in a very
roundabout way, states that damaged safety gear is covered if you or your
passenger were wearing it in a crash.

> > - Any bets on whether the insurance company will want me to install the
new
> > parts?
>
> Typically no - you give the bike to a dealer for an estimate (which you
> pay for up front - 1 hour labour figure $75-85) and the estimate includes
> all the parts *and* labour to install them. The insurance company cuts you
> a check for that amount and you can do whatever you want with the check -
> leave the bike ugly if you like and just pocket it, or give it to the
> dealer to do the work, or do the work yourself and keep the $ for the
> labor.

We ran an automotive repair shop for 20 years, so we've been through this
many times with our customers.  I'm waiting to hear back from our dealer
(whom I used to wrench for) as to parts prices and we'll tailor the estimate
comfortably below the totaled bike threshold.  I want the bike to look
undamaged though I've got some wiggle-room since I can touch-up minor
scratches.

> *If* you make the claim, the formal estimate step is non-negotiable, AND
> you do run the risk that if the formal damage estimate is > X% of the
> value of the bike, the insurance company will declare it totaled. That
opens
> a whole different can of worms, but it isn't all bad either.

Been down that road but the numbers look favorable this time and there isn't
any structural damage like a scratched frame.

Chris wrote:
> Have you checked the headlight unit.

Yeah. I've already had all the front plastic off the bike and repaired a few
broken mounting tabs in the nose section...

> If you can get them to let you do the fitting it will save
> them a fortune but they might not want to have the
> potential hassle if it's not right later.

I've signed a waiver over this issue in the past.  I can make the argument
that as a former dealership technician, I'm qualified to make the repairs.
Let's face it, bolting on new plastic and minor mechanical parts isn't
rocket science.

Thanks for the feedback,
- --Rick