RE: [ST] Steering Article

Disclaimer: I'm not a physicist, but I play one on the
Internet.

My understanding of a high side is that it occurs when
the rear slides and, once lateral forces decrease or
traction increases, rapidly regains traction, causing
the bike to flip over, with the rear tire as a
fulcrum.  (More or less what you said, but 'rear tire'
in place of 'front tire')

Anyhow, the outriggers should then prevent the high
side by directly opposing the 'flipping' motion.  I
think the rear could briefly leave the ground (so the
weight is riding on the outboard outrigger), but the
outrigger would then (presumably) slide, and the tire
would contact again and perhaps keep bouncing like
that, so you'd just get a chattering tire as the rear
kept sliding, until things calmed down.

However, I'm not confident enough about this to try it
myself without some further thought. :-)

- -Aron

- --- "Masiak, Richard"