RE: [ST] Countersteering

I've stayed out of this one so far......

Here's the thing: Yes, countersteering is the most effective method to
turn the bike at speed; Yes, bodysteering, leaning, peg pressure, etc
does steer the bike; Yes, those latter methods are not nearly as
effective as countersteering when done individually; Yes, body lean can
assist you to go through the same turn at the same speed with less bike
lean angle.

But these things are not completely disconnected from each other.  The
leaning, weight transfer, etc is also to help with the countersteering.
At high speeds it takes a lot of force to get the bike to turn in (the
bike wants to continue in a straight line).  The greater the rate of
speed, and the more you want to turn, the more force it takes to do so.
Thus the weight transfer and such are giving you more leverage to inpart
on the handlebars in order to countersteer.  That's also where this
"bending of the handlebars" comes in.  The faster you go through a
corner the more force you need to place on the bars to get the bike to
turn in and go through the turn.

In all, for the really fast guys (the pros), they lean the bike's to, or
almost to, the lean limit of the bike.  They lean off the bike to get a
sharper faster turn with that same lean angle, and they lean off the
bike in order to generate the necessary countersteering force on the
handlebars to get the bike to that lean angle.

Peace,

Heyer