RE: [ST] AMA Issues

The original Formula Extreme, which was run under another sanctioning body
and called Formula USA, was a wide open "run what ya brung" type class.  You
saw Gixxer 7/11s, turbo ZX10s, nitrous sniffin' CBR1000s, 2 year old 500GP
bikes, and anything in between.  Now THAT's Formula Extreme.  This crap AMA
has been running to benifit Honda's sales of open class bikes they can't see
on their Honda image is a farce.  Well, it was up until someone(Graves R1/R7
hybrid) decided how to work the rules to his favor and be competitive with
Erion, then they convienently called his machine illegal.  Then the Gixxer
1k came along, and they couldn't figure out how to make it illegal.  So they
just up and changed the entire rules package for the name.  And lookie who
is the only factory fully involved, and happens to have a near fully
developed bike just for those rules, why it's Honda. [/rant]
<<
Yeah, but, weren't the Formula Xtreme bikes less restricted?  I mean they
were able to pretty much do what they wanted to the engine, suspension,
brakes, etc.  Whereas the Superbikes were restricted to be more
representative of what I could buy off the showroom floor with very little
tweaks.

Rich

Anyway.  Does anyone remember the uproar when the 200 went from F1 rules to
superbike rules?  Did the race survive with the smaller displacement bike?
Why yes it did, imagine that.  Change happens, I guess is the best way I can
sum up my feelings on the 200.  Well, actually my feeling is that is
shouldn't be an AMA points race.  More a one off, like the IoM.  Because no
one should be forced to run that track for a national championship that
claims to be the best national championship in the world.

Steven Kohlscheen
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
AMA life member #548538
HSTA # 9351