RE: [ST] Kevlar Riding Gear

Rupert Galea wrote:
> Glad to hear you are OK.

Thanks, Rupert.  The point-of-impact hip is still a bit tender.  I also have
the usual aches and pains you'd expect in an old phart who threw himself
onto icy pavement at 35mph.  But I'm riding whenever I can, though the bike
is apart for it's 35k mi. service at the moment.

> Last year I checked out some Rev'It gear. It had 3 layers. Outer
> protective shell, a waterproofing liner and a thermal liner. This seems
> like a great setup for all weather. However it was Cordura not Kevlar.

That's the concept though Kevlar has superior performance.  It's reportedly
the only fabric approved by the major race sanctioning bodies.  I tried on
the First Gear Kilimanjaro, which has a similar system, again in Cordura.
It felt clammy with the liners in place, was awkward to get on and off and
the armor doesn't even come close to providing the protection of the
Cycleport.
Cheers,
- --Rick