From: owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Gavin
Lawrie
Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2005 3:10 PM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ST] Locating a switched power line nearest to back of ST

Hi

Another question for you all.  I've got an Autocom Pro7 on my ST.  It
was installed by previous owner (or actually the dealer he purchased it
from).  Fits neatly in space under seat.  It has the kit to connect
power supply to bike installed.  Whoever fitted it ran the power lead
across top of space under seat, down past battery, and terminated in
the push connector on the rear-brake pressure sensor.  This is a
circuit that is powered only when ignition is on - a good thing - but
is also quite exposed, and requires messing with the rubber boot that
goes over top of this switch assembly to get autcom wire inside where
the push-fit is.  Whoever did this wasn't so careful, and tore the boot
at the top where the wires go in, which is not a good idea as both
previous and current owners ride all-weathers.  Today Autcom failed, I
traced the power lead and found it terminated in this boot.  Peeled
back boot to find inside full of rusty sludge and water :(.  Have
cleaned out and dried, and patched up torn boot with combination of
plastic bags, elastic bands and masking tape - and now autcom works
again - and brake switch area doesn't look to shabby - but clear that
my repairs won't last for very long.

I contacted local dealer and was told that the rubber boot thing cannot
be replaced (oddly it is part of the wiring loom of bike - not
recommended for replacement).  So I'll have to do a more permanent fix
for that somehow (any ideas?).  But also thought it would be sensible
to reroute the Autocom power lead to a more sensible location (perhaps
one not so exposed).  But not sure where the nearest / most useful /
accessible switched power is to back of bike (where Autcom is).  Anyone
know?

Hope you can help...

Best regards

Gavin Lawrie