RE: [ST] for Rod - s.o.p.

Don,
You are absolutely right that just about all brands want to support their
dealers and do not go out of their way to encourage owner maintenance.  I
do have to say that Kawasaki did state to me that as long as you keep
records they don't have any problem with you maintaining your bike.  They
also would provide you with information on your bike to help you maintain
it. Now my shop manual for my Connie sucked beyond belief and a district
manager told me that I (and he meant any owner because we had just met)
had no business doing my own maintenance.  But all in all my experiences
with big K were pretty good on that issue. Talking to corporate was
pleasant and you could talk to the O-Fish-L Big K mechanic too.  I have
also talked to Peter Corleo at Triumph in Atlanta and I'll swear that his
line is that you will be excommunicated from the Triumph church if you
even look at screw driver.  He did not come out and say it directly but he
tried to tell me that if I did any work myself that my warrantee would be
revoked.

It doesn't matter that much though, because Triumphs are pretty solid as
bikes go and you catch most of the bad stuff in the early stages of
warranttee.  Now that I've said that my cams will probably split in two
because they were made of pot metal.
Rod

Join ISP.COM today - $8.95 internet , less than 1/2 the cost of AOL
Try us out, http://www.isp.com/