Re: [ST] Re: st-digest V2004 #883

I guess this one's not going away, so I'll chime in.

In my opinion, the person who assigned a trooper to answer 911 calls is
the one who should be fired. As part of my EMT/Firefighter training, I
got to visit the 911 dispatch office for Humboldt County. Our county
has a very low population density, so it's not nearly as busy as a big
city dispatch would be, and yet I still watched these dispatchers
handle multiple emergencies at once, all the time remembering names,
places, status of the incident, and doing it all with a very calm
voice. Those of us watching were freaking out wondering how they do it.

It takes special people with lots of training. Most applicants for the
job can't cut it and the burn out ratio is pretty high.

So why was a trooper answering the phone? You wouldn't ask a dispatcher
to go arrest a bank robber.

On Mar 23, 2005, at 6:04 PM, Marc Danziger wrote:

> BBBZT...sorry. There is no excuse, ever for a 911 operator failing to
> manage a call and when appropriate sending assistance.

Matt Knowles - Ferndale, CA -
http://www.knowlesville.com/matt/motorcycles
  '99 Sprint ST - for going fast and far (2CZUSA)
  '01 KLR650 - for exploring the North Coast backroads
  '97 KLX300 & '01 Lakota - for playing in the dirt
  '79 KZ400 - just because it was the first vehicle I ever owned

End of st-digest V2004 #886