Re: [ST] Major service UPDATE

- --=====================_316578==_.ALT

Bought my ST new in '02. I did my own 12,000 mile service (actually 13,156
mile service).  I haven't done the forks yet (been spending too much time
on a plane and/or waiting for springs).  All my intake vales were within
spec.  The exhausts valves were a different story.  They were all a little
tight, especially valve #6 (~.178mm).  I put smaller shims in them all to
make them fall with in specs.  All in all it's an easy job as long as you
have the time and tools.  (my newest torque wrench goes down to 5nm,
cool).  Another tool I used would highly recommend is a "Handy Lift".  It
saved my back big time!

  George

At 07:58 AM 3/24/2005 , drbrant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>Zoltan, for the record, my ST needed no Shims at 12,000 miles.   While I
>don't abuse it much it gets ridden like it was meant to be.  That is
>regular runs to 7-9,000 RPM and lots of long trips two up.  I paid about
>$550 for my service but did the oild change myself.  Dealer did the
>valves, throttle bodies, air filter and adjusted and lubed cables.
>
>Rick
>00 ST 15,000 miles
>PS My ST was purchase new in Nov. 02 as a left over

13,156 mile service).&nbsp; I haven't done the forks yet (been spending
too much time on a plane and/or waiting for springs).&nbsp; All my intake
vales were within spec.&nbsp; The exhausts valves were a different
story.&nbsp; They were all a little tight, especially valve #6
(~.178mm).&nbsp; I put smaller shims in them all to make them fall with
in specs.&nbsp; All in all it's an easy job as long as you have the time
and tools.&nbsp; (my newest torque wrench goes down to 5nm, cool).&nbsp;
Another tool I used would highly recommend is a &quot;Handy
Lift&quot;.&nbsp; It saved my back big time!&nbsp; <br>
&nbsp;George<br>
At 07:58 AM 3/24/2005 , drbrant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:<br>
at 12,000 miles.&nbsp;&nbsp; While I don't abuse it much it gets ridden
like it was meant to be.&nbsp; That is regular runs to 7-9,000 RPM and
lots of long trips two up.&nbsp; I paid about $550 for my service but did
the oild change myself.&nbsp; Dealer did the valves, throttle bodies, air
filter and adjusted and lubed cables.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Rick <br>
00 ST 15,000 miles<br>
PS My ST was purchase new in Nov. 02 as a left over<br>
- -----Original Message----- <br>
maintenance book is wrong and a major service should be done at around 6k
miles because sometimes the valves are tight and the sooner you catch it
the better in order not to damage the heads.(mine is an overstock 2001
that I bought at the end of 03). So what happened is I guess I paid for
an early 12k service (including adjusting the valve clearances and
synching the throttle bodies) and the next major service would be due at
18k instead of 12k. Does this make sense, is there any reports of tight
valves early on or is this guy telling me fairytales?</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
<dl>
<dd>----- Original Message -----
<dd>From:</b> <a href="mailto:garrysimmons@xxxxxxxxxxxx";>Garry
Simmons</a>
<dd>To:</b> <a href="mailto:ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx";>ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx</a>
<dd>Sent:</b> Tuesday, March 22, 2005 8:35 PM
<dd>The 6K service is nothing more than an oil change and general
inspection, plus adjusting the chain and cables (if needed). Pretty much
the same deal as the 600 mile one. That is per the official factory
service manual. Sounds to me like you got ripped a new one. The 6K
shouldn't cost $200 let alone $650. I can change my own oil thanks, so I
did my own 6K service and most of my 12K and 24K as well. I left the
valve adjustments to the shop. I suggest you find a new shop ASAP.
<dd>&nbsp;<font face="arial" size=2>
<dd>Garry</font>
<dd>----- Original Message -----
<dd>From:</b> <a href="mailto:zpavlakovich@xxxxxxxxxxx";>Zoltan
Pavlakovich</a>
<dd>To:</b> <a href="mailto:ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx";>ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx</a>
<dd>Sent:</b> Tuesday, March 22, 2005 10:37 PM
<dd>Got the redhead back from her first major service (6k at 6.3k). I was
expecting a good lump but $650.- big ones was kind of hard to swallow. Am
I paying too much? It included all the fluids and filters and plugs
though. It would interest me how much everybody else paid
for.</font><br>

</dl>* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * The ST/RS Mailing list is
sponsored by Jack Lilley Ltd.