[ST] Crank story continues..

------------------------------

Message: 14
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 11:16:22 -0700
From: Neil Lindsey <Neil.Lindsey@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [ST] End to Crank story (hopefully...)
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Is this true?

"The motor is not the type where the pistons come into contact with the
valves"

I understood that most modern engines (955 included) were on the
'interference' type, where this IS possible if camshaft/valves and
crankshaft/pistons get out of sync.

To me it sounds more like whatever broke did not upset
camshaft-to-crankshaft timing.

This failure is on an '02 Sprint right (therefore the newer 955 favour)?

Neil

This is how it was explained to me by the dealer.always remember in my
posts, Geek speaking so I may be wrong but even I understand basic
engines (maybe not terms though :)  Although I was under the same
impression.

It is indeed a 2002.  Incidentally I emailed a guy some time ago about
some bits for my bike and he said he was parting his personal bike out
(i.e. not a breaker) as the crank broke.  I have emailed him to find out
more but to date he has not replied.  Not sure he is on this list
otherwise I am sure he would have shouted by now.

Cheers,

Kevin