Re: [ST] Penske shock...

So I have pretty much decided to get a rear shock. $700-$800 seems
like a lot to spend on a 6 year old bike but everyone seems to agree
that it makes a big difference. I figure if I come to sell the bike I
can always sell the shock separately and get a good amount back.

The two options I am considering are the Penske 2 way (8981) and the
Ohlins (46prcs). I am sure that these two are comparable if setup
correctly.

They both have adjustable rebound damping and low speed compression
damping. They both have a remote reservoir. The Ohlins has a remote
preload adjuster but is probably about $100 more. Adjusting the
rebound damping is the same on both. The compression damping is easy
to adjust on the Penske as the reservoir is on a hose and you can
mount it where you want. On the Ohlins the reservoir is attached and
apparently the compression damping adjuster is hard to get to (I
assume you mount the shock with the reservoir facing the front of the
bike?). You have to remove the tank to adjust the preload on the
Penske.

So far I have done very little two up riding and the only time I have
changed the preload is for track days. I have never had adjustable
compression damping but I assume that this is something that you do
not adjust much once it is dialed in.

http://www.rgalea.com/pics/st_shock.jpg
http://www.rgalea.com/pics/penske2way.jpg
http://www.rgalea.com/pics/ohlins.jpg