Re: [ST] electrical demons (sorry longish)

On Tue, 3 May 2005 BrettWilson21@xxxxxxx wrote:

-He suggested the best course of action would be to buy replacement switch
-blocks from a low mileage crashed bike. I'm not sure about this as mine is a '99
-ST and I'm concerned about the wiring being different on later models, eg the
-hazard switch was removed in 2000 or 2001, I believe.
-
-Has anyone had much experience with this? Any thoughts?

That's not a bad idea if you can find 'em, but having been in and out of the
housings on my '99 I'd say just take it easy and pay attention to what you're
doing and clean 'em up.

I had most of the electrical systems go down at the tail end of an all day
rain ride a few months after aquiring the '99 in July '01.  Spedo went first,
then turn signals, passing, hi-lo, etc.  The magnet in the spedo pickup had
frozen due to no lube and too much moisture, and the contacts in the swtich
housings were somewhat corroded.  Cleaned 'em up, used dielectric grease on
the switch contacts, freed/lubed/re-assembled the pickup and never had another
problem.  Suspect previous owner liked to stop at the hi-pressure car wash.

--

                               ._O_.  '03 Sprint ST
           -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 Thunderbird Sport       /~\