Re: [ST] Chains & Sprockets. Engineering question.

Brett

Sounds good to me except that I don't think you'll find anyone who
would recommend changing just the front spocket.  The three parts tend
to bed together just as a set as valves/guides & cam-followers do.  When
bedded they will wear each other less.

That fact puts a different perspective on it but you may be splitting
hairs anyway.

Regular cleaning and careful lubrication probably count for more and
are cheaper in $$s.

Chris Harwood
00 RS

>>> brettwilson21@xxxxxxx 06/05/2005 14:16:44 >>>
I have posted this before but it didnt appear, so my apologies if it
shows up twice.

I have some questions for all you clever engineer types.

I know we have recently had a bit of a thread on changing the size of
the sprockets to achieve various outcomes, however, I would like to know
what the difference is with changing the size of the front versus the
rear.

As I understand it, going down one tooth on the front OR going up two
teeth on the back will have about the same effect. In this example it
will shorten the gearing, by about the same ratio, giving slightly
higher acceleration.

My local dealer recently told me that the front sprocket wears the
fastest and the smaller the sprocket, the faster the wear and once it
starts to wear it then wears the chain which in turn wears the rear
sprocket.

So my questions are:

1. An 18 tooth front & 46 tooth rear is about the same as 17/44, but
the config with the bigger front will wear more slowly?

2. I normally get 20,000kms from my chains and sprockets. If I were to
change the front sprocket more often, say every 3000kms, will this give
extended life to the rear sprocket and chain?

Does this make sense or is it all bunk???

Cheers,
Brett.
Sydney
'99 ST