RE: [ST] Off the ST...

>From: Marc Danziger
>It's worse in extension (head back) which means that riding a
>bike that leans forward is Right Out.
>So I'm going to shopping this month...V-Strom is the practical choice,
>Tiger next, I like the GS1200, but there's no way I'm spending that
>much. I'd buy a KTM Supermoto first...

V-strom650 has a lot of value and power, the 1000 is a blast.
The newest Tiger got a very bad review here, mostly because
they (surprisingly) hated the injection. It seems environmental
issues made it more restricting and I believe Triumph switched
manufacturers. No expert though, perhaps (like with the VStrom 1000,
the 650 is smooth by its own) the injection can be remapped or so.

>So Vixen's got to go.

Have you considered bar risers?

Alternative bikes... I'm thinking the Yamaha FZ6. It sits straight
up, has the R6 engine but uses quite a lot of fuel and is a bit
boring enginewise (although I like the looks):
http://www.motorfreaks.nl/fsget.php?id=3644

You might also want to look for the new Kawasaki Z750S. Lot of power,
very good reviews so far, also sits straight up and is really cheap.
Cons, no centerstand and no hazard lights:
http://www.motorfreaks.nl/fsget.php?id=10249

If you want practicallity and approval from your wife, how about
the Suzuki Burgman 650:
http://www.marca.com/marca_motor/lomasnuevo/agosto02/suzuki_burgman/04.jpg
You'll be ridiculed by "real" motorcyclists though....

Maybe the Kawasaki KLR650:
http://www.kawasaki.com/product_detail.asp?product=60&category=2&tag=motorcycle
More built for rough circumstances than long hours on the freeway...

Or a secondhand FJR1300? Or a '96+ (higher bars) ST1100?
Triumph Trophy perhaps (I wouldn't personally...)?

My bet would be the V-Strom 650. Stromtrooper Forum:
http://www.stromtrooper.com
Here (scroll down) you will find a lot of links to reviews:
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/VStrom.html
The global V-Strom community seems huge....

Good luck Marc,

Emile
www.piloot.com