Re: [ST] Clutch Life?/cable maint. tips

Okay guys here goes......
  This is no great testimonial BUT this is what I've using for years.  And
I've got 80K on the original throttle cable on my 95 Trophy 1200 and no  signs
of wear.
  First go buy a cable luber like the one pictured in the Dennis Kirk  add
below, it doesen't have to come from Dennis Kirk, all the catalog houses and
cycle shops sell them and several companies make them.
  In using it spray the lube till it comes out the other end of  the cable.
And do this two or three times a season. And on each reapplication do  it till
the dirt and crud stops coming out.

_http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=281741&store=
Main&productId=p281741&catId=5&leafCatId=51207_
(http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=281741&store=Main&productId=p281741&catId=5
&leafCatId=51207)

Next..For cables that are standard steels lined (no teflon liner) I have
been using Tri-Flow, see the link below, and it has worked GREAT!
_http://www.triflowlubricants.com/Superior_Aerosol/superior_aerosol.html_
(http://www.triflowlubricants.com/Superior_Aerosol/superior_aerosol.html)

 Now for the Teflon lined clutch cables...Motorcycle Consumer News has  just
published that they have been testing the DuPont Performance "dry"  Multi-use
Lubricant. And they have reported excellent results. I've been using  it for
the last 6 months ie; 2-3 times a season and, spray it through till it  comes
out clean at the other end. I'll let everyone know long my ST's  cables last.

_http://www.performancelubricant.dupont.com/dp_products_multi.html_
(http://www.performancelubricant.dupont.com/dp_products_multi.html)

 Other "cable maintenance" issues to do are to lube the lever pivots  on a
regular basis, and at the same time lube the ends where they fit into the  holes
in the levers (both ends). you can use the Tri-Flow to lube your  shift/brake
linkages too (you should be doing this every time after you wash  your bike)
  Well there you have it. Doing this has given me years of good cable  life.

Don Kames
03 ST in IL